HOME Line offers free legal advice to Minnesota tenants on our hotline service. We serve the entire state of Minnesota.
We have advised over 158,000 tenants through our free hotline. We believe most tenants can assert their rights without representation (as long as they have the right information), however we do provide limited paid consultations and representation.
Click below for more information on our services:
HOME Line offers free legal advice to Minnesota tenants on our hotline service. Tenant/landlord law advice and problem-solving includes:
- Explanations of applicable laws
- Procedures for legal options available to tenants
- Providing form letters, fact sheets, excerpts from statutes, or other written information
- Referrals to local housing inspectors, sources of emergency assistance, etc.
Tenants who contact the hotline will usually receive immediate attention to their problem from one of the staff attorneys or law student volunteers. Tenants will receive free advice regarding Minnesota landlord/tenant law and options for resolving the problem will be offered. The hotline is free and available to all tenants, regardless of income.
We serve the entire state of Minnesota.
If you are a tenant in Minnesota and you have a rental question, you can reach our Tenant Advocates for legal advice at:
…or call us toll-free from Greater MN at:
While HOME Line’s Tenant Hotline provides free advice to Minnesota renters we have found that there are times in which a tenant wants representation and it is difficult to find attorneys willing to take such cases–or they may charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Because of this, we are offering several new services ranging from simple one-time legal consultation to full representation.
Every case and client is unique. The following examples of prices are flexible and may be changed based upon the circumstances of the individual case. The fee may be either higher or lower than what is listed below. If you are interested in our paid services, please call our tenant hotline to inquire: 612-728-5767 or toll-free from Greater MN 866-866-3546.
List of Options:
- A HOME Line attorney will write a letter and/or engage in negotiations with a landlord before a case has been filed: $50-$150.
- A HOME Line attorney will meet with a tenant at HOME Line’s office and help prepare them for Conciliation Court/Rent Escrow in a one-hour session: $75.
- A HOME Line attorney will represent a tenant in Conciliation Court. Fixed fee of $500 plus a contingency fee of 35%.
- A HOME Line attorney will represent a tenant in a District Court case. Fixed fee of $1,000 plus a contingency fee of 35%.
- A HOME Line attorney will represent a tenant in a Rent Escrow or ETRA (Emergency Tenant Remedies Action): Fixed fee of $250-$500 plus a contingency fee of 35%.
In all of the above cases, the tenant pays all court filing fees (unless the tenant’s income qualifies them to file IFP (in forma pauperis)-very low income requirements from the court where fees can be waived by the court).
Contingency fees: This is how HOME Line’s prices for representation remain affordable. If the tenant wins the case, HOME Line gets a percentage of the money awarded in court.
In all cases, if attorney’s fees are awarded, they shall be kept by HOME Line in addition to the amounts above. Attorney’s fees can be awarded in some landlord/tenant disputes (lockouts, rent escrows, etc.).
HOME Line reserves the right to refuse to accept any case. We will not represent tenants in cases unless we believe the tenant should prevail in court.
In any case in which HOME Line represents a tenant, the fee arrangement will be agreed upon in writing prior to representation and the tenant will know what costs they will incur as well as what legal services they will receive. Again, if you are interested in our paid services, please call our tenant hotline to inquire: 612-728-5767 or toll-free from Greater MN 866-866-3546.